- Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE), Power Option, June 1978, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington.
- Advanced Project Management, 1979, Seattle University, Seattle, Washington.
- Applied Protective Relaying, 1982, Westinghouse Electric Company, Coral Springs, Florida.
- NELPA Meter School, 1983, Washington State University, Pullman, Washington.
- Numerous electrical training courses and safety courses.
- National Electrical Safety Committee C2 (NESC), voting member assigned to NESC
Subcommittee 8 "Work Rules"
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), Senior Member.
Engineering in the Safety, Maintenance, and Operations Subcommittee (ESMO).
- Chairman of the ESMO Underground Grounding Task Force.
- Active ESMO Committee Member:
Live Work Guide Working Group
Conductive Clothing Task Force
Fall Protection Task Force
Insulator Cleaning Task Force
Worker in the Air Gap Working Group
Maximum Transient Overvoltage Task Force
Work Methods Working Group
Broken Insulator Task Force
IEEE 1048 Grounding Task Force
ESMO/NESC Coordinating Working Group ASTM, Member
- Active Member of ASTM F18 Subcommittee.
- Vice Chairman of ASTM F 855 "Temporary Protective Grounds to be Used on De-energized Electric Power Lines and Equipment"
- Quad States Instructors Association, Member.
- National Utilities Safety and Education Association (NUSEA), Member.
- Northwest Public Power Association (NWPPA), Member.
Electrical Safety Consultants International, Inc. (ESCI) 1994-Present
- Oversees a staff of 12 professional safety, training and wellness experts.
- Oversees the safety and training needs of 40 plus electric utilities.
- Expert in the operations, maintenance and construction of electrical utility systems in the United States.
- Teaches grounding theory and application courses to utility workers.
- Considered the industry expert in equipotential grounding.
- Provides safety and training consulting services to the electric utility industry.
- Provides expert witness services relating to electrical cases.
- Involvement in many accident investigations of utility workers and the general public.
Puget Sound Power & Light Company, 1978-1996
- District Engineer.
- Substation Design, Operation and Maintenance Engineer.
- Training Supervisor.
- Safety, Standards and Work Methods Engineer.
- Oversaw the entire company's operation, maintenance and construction work methods and standard development.
- Distribution and Transmission Engineer.
- Designed hundreds of distribution and transmission line extensions.
- Designed and oversaw the construction, maintenance and operation of the electrical system in Whatcom County, Washington.
- Supervisor, Lynden Service Center.
Snohomish County PUD #1, 1973-1978
- Underground Construction Coordinator
- Line crew helper
- Underground Locator
- Technical consultant and advisor to the maintenance and revisions of Federal OSHA 1910.269 and 1926 Subpart V.
- Technical expert and consultant to Federal OSHA on OSHA citations and investigations.
Protective Grounding Systems
- Leading industry expert in all aspects of protective grounding.
- Conducted more than 1,000 courses on grounding across the US.
Electrical Service Entrance Systems
- Developed Puget Sound Energy's electrical service entrance specifications and metering requirements for residential, commercial and industrial facilities.
- Designed and oversaw the installation hundreds of electrical services to residential, commercial and industrial facilities.
Electric Utility Systems
- Designed and oversaw the construction, operation and maintenance of major electrical substations energized at 4kV, 15kV, 55kV, 115kV and 230kV.
- Designed and oversaw the construction, operation and maintenance of overhead and underground distribution and transmission systems energized at 4kV, 15kV, 55kV, 115kV and 230kV.
Residential and Commercial Wiring Systems
- Designed and wired several new residences, and rewired a number of existing homes and commercial facilities.
- "Test Results of Personal Protective Grounding on Distribution Line Wood Pole Construction" IEEE 88 SM 558-9 PWRD.
- "Test Results of Grounding Un-insulated Aerial Lift Vehicles Near Energized Distribution Lines" IEEE 91 SM 312-9 PWRD.
- "Worker Protection While Working De-Energized Underground Distribution Systems" IEEE/ESMO Task Force 15.07.09.01
- "Guide for Maintenance Methods on Energized Power Lines" IEEE 516.
- "Guide to Grounding of Power Systems" IEEE 1048.
- "Temporary Protective Grounds to be Used on De-energized Electric Power Lines and Equipment" ASTM F855.
- A number of articles in professional magazines and newsletters.
Consulting and Training:
- Snohomish County PUD #1
- Puget Sound Energy
- Seattle City Light
- Tacoma City Light
- San Diego Gas & Electric
- Northeast Utilities Group
- US Department of Labor
- Quanta Services
- Peninsula Light Company
- Orcas Power and Light
- Chelan County PUD #1
- City of Richland
- Big Bend Co-op
- Benton County PUD #1
- Franklin County PUD #1
- Benton County REA
- Bonneville Power Administration
- Washington Water Power
- Wilson Construction
- Washington State Department of Labor and Industries
- State of Alaska Office of the Attorney General
- Bogle and Gates, Attorneys at Law
- Douglas Ehlke, Attorney at Law
- Dayton Power and Light
- Pacific Gas and Electric Company
- Portland General Electric
- Colorado River Commission
- Tennessee Valley Authority
- Citizens Electric
- City of Blaine
- Clallam County PUD
- Columbia Basin Electric Co-op
- Douglas County PUD
- Ferry County PUD
- Grays Harbor PUD
- Hood River Electric Co-op
- Kootenai Electric
- Lincoln Power District
- Flathead Electric Co-op Assn
- Florida Power and Light
- Great Southwestern Construction Company
- Grand Canyon State Electric Co-op Association
- City of Bay City, Michigan
- Chelan County PUD #1
- Hubbell Power Products
- Dairyland Power Co-op
- Florida Power Corp
- Iowa Lakes Electric Co-op
- International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers
- Montana Power Company
- Association of Missouri Electric Co-ops
- Michigan Electric Cooperative Association
- Nevada Power Company
- Ohio Rural Electric Cooperatives
- Nebraska Rural Electric Association
- Navopache Electric Co-op
- Pacific Power
- City of Roseville, Calif.
- Salt River Project
- Valley Electric Association
- Utah Power Company
- General Electric Company
- Northwest Public Power Association
- City of Bellingham
- EnergyAustralia, Australia
- Washington State Governors Safety Conference
- Edison Electric Institute
- Quad States Instructors, Inc.
- National Utilities Safety and Education Association
- Association of Illinois Electric Cooperatives
- WISHA v. Washington Water Power.
- Haggerty v. Nevada Power Company.
- Blanchard v. A.B. Chance Company.
- Tami Price v. Interstate Travel Facilities, Inc, The Beard Company, Staffpro Plus, LLC, Toby Tindell, Christine Tindell, Public Service Company of Oklahoma, J. Dennis Green, Green's Remodeling, Inc.
- Garamedi v. Nevada Power Company.
- Irby Construction Company v. State of Alaska.
- US Department of Labor v. Commonwealth Electric Company.
- WISHA v. Wilson Construction Company.
- Tabak v. Nevada Power
- US Department of Labor v. Winco, Inc.
- US Department of Labor v. Harp Construction Company.
- US Department of Labor v. Great Southwestern Company.
- US Department of Labor v. Pike Construction.
- L.E. Myers v. US Department of Labor.
- Cleavenger v. Monongahela Power Co, Fairchild Cable TV, Time Warner Cable Inc.
- Steve Cservak v. San Diego Gas & Electric.
- Tanner Electric v. Washington State Department of Labor and Industries
- Barbour v. Nevada Power
- Hicks v. Piedmont Electric Membership Corporation
- WISHA v. Potelco Construction Co.
- and more ... see Expert Witness page